I admit I have been a horrible creative funk lately, not wanting to scrapbook, draw, paint or even color in a coloring book. I was extremely frustrated because I felt like I needed to create something but part of me felt like I forgot how. I keep a Pinterest board of things I want to make, I finally was desperate and went to my board start searching and found this baseball bracelet from I Can Find the Time. We have a ton of baseballs in the garage and I went out and got one. I cut it up and realized how much I hate bracelets and that I would never wear it. I sat there and stared at the baseball string, it hit me barrettes! I was so excited, I was finally inspired to MAKE SOMETHING! I got a large barrette and decided to make a baseball barrette.
- Exacto Knife
- Barrette or Headband
- Hot Gun (only if making a headband)
- Scissors (I used my Tim Holtz™ Scissors)
- Materials (see above)
- Taking an Exacto Knife cut around the thread leaving approximately 1/8″ on either side of the thread. Pull the leather from the ball the leather will be tacky.
- Find where the “thread ends” and cut making a “straight piece” take scissors and trim the excess leather from the edges. Measure the length of the leather leaving about an inch on either side and cut. Unravel part of the string about an inch (this will hold the leather to the barrette.)
- Thread the string through the hole and tie around the barrette.
- How the barrette should look (I had enough thread that I tied it off on the underside of the barrette). Repeat on the other end.
- Trim excess leather with scissors.
The Headband is a little different but steps 1-3 are the same. I did tie one end to start and working quickly I hot glued the leather to the headband. Once I reached the other end I tied the other end and trimmed the leather.