I love to recycle and find new ways to use old items. Since I got my circular saw for Valentine’s Day I have really enjoyed using it. My problem was I did not have wood to build anything, that changed a couple weeks ago when my neighbor took down their fence. Jeff being the awesome husband asked if they were going to use any of it and if not could I have it. They said take as much as you want, so I now have this abundance of old, distressed wood. I have been looking for close to two years for a non-plastic coat hanger for under $10. I can say they do not exist and if they do I have yet to find one.
My mom sent me some wooden clothes pins (the kind you make people ornaments out of) a couple weeks ago and immediately thought these would make great pegs for a coat rack. The total time for this project was maybe 10 minutes per hanger.
- Circular Saw
- Wood 19″ x 3 3/4″ (mine was a piece of a picket fence cut to 19″ because I was too lazy to remove the nails)
- 3 Clothes Pins
- Miter Box and Saw (I used a hand held one)
- 7/16″ Wood Drill Bit
- Rubber Mallet
- 2 Pop Tops
- Staple Gun or Finishing Tacks
- Cut wood to desired length, mine was 19″
- Measure where you want the holes. Measurement based on 19″ board: Center: 9 1/2″ I measured from the edge to center – Right: 4 3/4″ Left: 4 3/4″
- I drilled the holes
- I cut the clothes pins down to 2 1/2″ with the aid of a miter box and hand saw.
- Taking a rubber mallet I hammered the clothes pins into the holes.
- Hammering done (you can paint or woodburn here before adding the pop tops)
- Measuring in 3″ from the edge on either side place the pop top and staple in place with a staple gun. Hang on wall.
Add hats, coats, backpacks to the hangers.
Great upscaling ! x Fab
Boy do I need some of those in my house. Inspirational! TFS
I love this project! reclaimed wood is so beautiful and your hangers look great.
Have fun with the fence. I can think of a lot of uses for it and I know you have a lot more than I do. Great job on the hanger.
that is awesome sauce
LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!!
Great job! I love repurposing found reclaimed wood! I have a stash myself! Thank you for being apart of my Earth Day Blog Hop!
What a wonderful project. TFS how you made your coat hanger.
Thank you everyone 🙂 It was a lot of fun and Thank you Leslierahye for hosting a great blog hop 🙂