The Booga was going through one of the desk drawers yesterday when he pulled out a Mac Zip Disk. Besides the fact I laughed knowing I will never get everything off of that disk; I realized how thick the case was and I thought wow, I could so do something with that. I thought and thought then it hit me – this would be a perfect watercolor case.
I got to work and decided fun foam would work fantastic for the wells. The test went together well but when I added water to the paint my seams were not sealed as well as I had thought. This led me back to the drawing board. I decided to assemble the wells on the outside then attach them with hot glue to the container. I chose hot glue because it is waterproof and works much faster than Tacky Glue (even the Quick Dry).
The dimensions of the case are 4” x 4” I did six wells, each well is a 1/2” wide by 1” in length. The dimensions are 3” x 1” for the completed wells. When I hot glued it to the case I went a little crazy I hot glued all sides and the bottom (I didn’t want the paint to mix). I also cut a brush down and some paper to fit into the case for the perfect travel kit.
The Zip disk if you are unfamiliar with what they are think of them as the precursor to USB drives.
Look at all the room – oh the possibilities.
Measuring, cutting to see it this is going to work.
Not in this picture there are 8 wells. I forgot that you need to be able to shut the lid and with 8 you could not.
My modification to 6 wells. This is the first one that I did with Tacky Glue. No waterproof so I redid it.
The new one made with foam and hot glue. Not as neat as the first one but it is waterproof.
What it looks like with the lid closed before I added the cover to the paint wells.
The paint brush – I cut with an Exacto knife and sanded to fit in the case.
The lid attached with my new B.F.F. metal tape.
Top can hold paper and the bottom holds the brush and the paint.
Showing the paint.
The Travel Watercolor Case completed!
fabulous!I like this idea too. you are doing awesome upcycling!