The very first pie I ever attempted was a banana cream pie for my dad’s birthday. My dad loves banana cream pie and I wanted to surprise him with this pie. I asked my mom to go to the grocery store and get everything. My mom is not a baker, the recipe called for whipped cream, my mom bought Redi-Whip not Cool Whip. Little did I know this was going to make a huge difference in making this pie (did I mention it was my first pie). I followed the recipe to the T and even got all fancy with the Redi Whip. It was a beautiful pie. I put it back in the fridge for my dad. We went out for dinner and came home to have pie. I opened the fridge and to my horror, my pie had melted all over the fridge. I was devastated the Redi Whip turned my pie to a gooey soup and now I had a HUGE mess to clean up (and it was HUGE!!!) I ended up running to the local grocery store and picking up a Sara Lee Banana Cream Pie. I never forgot this and every year I wish I lived closer so I could redeem myself. The recipe I want to make him for is not the one I made in high school that used Cool Whip and Instant Pudding.
Old Fashion Banana Cream Pie:
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 bananas
Prep Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
- 2 In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
- 3 In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
- 4 Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
- 5 Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
- 6 In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
- 7 Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- 8 Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- 9 Let sit until lukewarm.
- 10 When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
- 11 If desired, make a meringue (you’ll have 3 leftover egg whites) to top the pie, or just let the pie cool until serving.
Happy Birthday Dad! I hope you have a great day and you get that piece of Banana Cream Pie even if Sara made it for you 🙂