Pin ItI really don’t have a lot of going out clothes (I have lounging around the house clothes and really fancy clothes nothing in between.) Well Saturday was Date Night (fabulous dinner and an awesome concert) I was 0-6 for trying on outfits. I posted on Facebook that I had nothing to wear for Date Night and one of my friends posted two links for shirt modifications. They looked easy enough but I really didn’t want to cut up one of my comfy t-shirts but I did have a myriad amount of maternity shirts to play with. I wanted something long selves and a nice fancy fabric (i.e. not cotton). My friend directed me to a Pinterest Find she bookmarked – I looked up Tea Rose Home. I loved the ruffles and the flower so I decided why not – if it doesn’t turn out no big deal, if it does YAY, new shirt.
Seam Ripper (trust me sewing scissors takes FOREVER!)
Another Shirt or a Template for modification
1. Take maternity shirt turn inside out, lay flat and place template over the shirt. Trace with chalk.
2. Take seam ripper (in my case I could not find one and used sewing scissors) rip out side seams up to the selves. DO NOT RIP OUT SELVES – Sewing selves are a pain in the butt – leave them in-tacked!
3. Pin, try on to check thickness and cut. Save scraps (these will be your ruffles and flowers.
4. Sew the sides of the shirt up with a Zig-zag stitch.
5. Following the directions from Tea Rose Home create the flowers and ruffles – her’s has pictures and detailed directions (I forgot to take pictures).
6. Add ruffles and flowers (I hand sewed my ruffles and flowers on – I am not that good with a sewing machine.)
7. Once finished take lots of pictures of yourself and your husband on a date!