Forced Home Renovations

It has been a week since I posted on the state of our moldy floor.  Well not much has changed in a week.  We are waiting on insurance to see what we can do and unfortunately our policy does not include builder incompetence so it is looking more and more like we are footing the bill.  If that is the case we will not be getting hardwood floors I will being doing a brown paper floor that I found on Pinterest.

We did discover how the water was getting in a simple siding cap was never placed creating a funnel for the water.  We (my neighbor, Jeff and I) ripped up 364 square feet of dirty, moldy carpet.  Side note my kids were not in the house when I treated the floors my mother in law took them outside to play.  The musty, moldy smell has been eliminated with any hope we got it all.

What we found when we removed the carpet.

What we found when we removed the carpet.

The kids wanting to help

The kids wanting to help

Removing the baseboards

Removing the baseboards

Booga digging the jungle gym that the neighbor brought over

Booga digging the jungle gym that the neighbor brought over

Only a little water damage up the wall

Only a little water damage up the wall

We decided since we had to rip every thing up we might as well change the color of the wall.  This is a shot of the walls primed - no color.

We decided since we had to rip every thing up we might as well change the color of the wall. This is a shot of the walls primed – no color.

2013-07-25 23.31.17

We were told to stop painting the front wall of the house in case they needed to treat everything. So there is one half of my house I can not touch until we get the okay.

Our very upset Reeva (yes with paint on her)

Our very upset Reeva (yes with paint on her)

New wall color, I am in love with this color.

New wall color, I am in love with this color.

My "favorite" thing I found removing the carpet - the cigarette butt in the crack of the floor.

My “favorite” thing I found removing the carpet – the cigarette butt in the crack of the floor.

 

I have been doing a lot of fun things with areas of the house, essentially to kill time since everything is in boxes.  The first thing I did was remove the paint from the window ledge in between the kitchen and living room.  I took it down to the bare wood and then glued down close to a 1,000 pennies.  I had seen this time and time again on Pinterest and always said I would do it.  My biggest thing was how in the world would I stop the resin from getting all over the floor.  I decided to try packing tape.  It worked there was one small drip that I caught otherwise no leaks.

I do plan on doing a much more in depth post on this after everything is back to normal.

Finished Penny Ledge

Finished Penny Ledge

I am still not sure how I am going to finish the side or if I am so that is the main reason for no big post yet.

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Forced Home Renovations

    • I think it is common here. I can’t believe my home owners policy may not be worth the paper it is written on because of “asshattery” as Jeff puts it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s